Thursday, December 6, 2018

PART 4



It’s a Tuesday Morning and Oliver has already called Ms. Cara to inform her that he’ll be in a bit late.

"I have a meeting" he said.

"The career fair?" she asked, "I heard you talking about it last week. Hope you see so good stuff.

"Thanks I’ll be in later and I’ll make up the hours over today and tomorrow"

He was dressed in a pair of black dress pants and a peach button down. He got a tie that he YouTubed to figure out the best way to tie and was at the fair 15 minutes before it began. The set up was nice with a map listing each company or agency listed. He had his resumes ready and was prepared for any potential interviews. Looking at his map he decided to work his way slowly to the exit. His first area of stopping was with the U.S. Dept of State. "Hello, Oliver". "Cynthia Levines" she said before proceeding to discuss what the duties of the Dept of State and mentioned that she was in the Atlanta Resident office. "We offer internships to students. Most do not pay, on the other hand, an internship here is a once in a lifetime experience. We are currently looking for clerks and IT managers. Are you in school?"

"I actually graduated 4 years ago. I worked for FEMA and did other disaster recovery projects"

Oliver explained that while the work was rewarding it had an expiration date. He handed her a resume and she gave him a business card and a card with the agencies website. Working his way to the other end of the fair he saw Primerica with a table, not interested. State Farm and Aflac were also there. He talked with two age agencies before running into Claudia.

"You made it!" She said wearing a navy blue pants suit and blue heels. "See anything good so far?"

"Just finished talking to the US Dept of State. Passed by IEM, gonna go by the social services table".

"Non profit agency here. Saw VOA. I signed up to take the exam to get certified to teach in a couple of weeks. Would like to start teaching this fall."

"Anyone hiring thus far?"

"A lot are not"

This wasn’t a shock. It was almost like clickbait you see on the internet with tragic titles for views and then once being clicked on, you wish you had skipped. "Sometimes they call them ‘customized hiring events’. They tell you shit like you need to come dressed to impress only to find out that you didn’t even need to get out of bed for it.” Oliver had gone through this routine one time too many. At this rate he’d be whoring himself until he was 50. He had a game plan He decided that he’d start graduate school in the spring, however he wasn’t sure where. The pair stayed at the fair for about two hours before leaving. Oliver decided to make a quick run to Subway before heading back to the office.

"Good afternoon" Ms. Cara said as Oliver walked in. "See anyone good?"

"Saw a few interesting things. Put my resume out there. Going to check out the U.S. Dept of State"

"That’s great!"

"I’m actually starting graduate school in the spring. I’d like to see if I can compete the studies online"

He then proceeded to input records until an excel sheet.
Claudia returns from lunch and they talked abbot about the job fair. "A few disaster recovery agencies" [of course, to clean up debris]. "I applied to a few places but there were a lot that were very job specific" Oliver complained as he begin to file papers.
He worked until closing time. Later at the gym as he was finishing a set of squats, he walked passed a young man when the young man stopped and turned around. "Oliver?!" pauses for a minute.

"Wudup?" "Man, remember me? Swim meets, we were always paired up against each other"

"Wait a second, Milek??"

"Yep"

"Where the hell have YOU been?"

"Long story"
He explained that after graduating high school that he had taken some time to travel. However he’s currently working as a server.

"I’m at this new bar that just opened downtown, you’ll have to come one day"

"I’m in the non-profit field right now"

"What’s your number man? You free tonight? I got a night off."

After they exchanged contact information, Oliver returned to his workout. "I’ll catch you later?"
"Sure thing man"

Later that night the two of them met at TGI Fridays.

"I love that chicken and shrimp pasta" Oliver said as he looked at the menu. Milek decided to begin the conversation that they left off at in the gym.


image
[like sucking off, jacking off, and risking my life]
Oliver continued the conversation after taking a sip of his lemonade

image
Milek chuckled for a moment before taking a sip of his beer.
They conversed for a long period covering everything from family to school to the news before eating. After they ate, they parted ways.

"Guess I’ll see you at the gym" Milek said as he got in his truck.

"I’m sure you will, it’s my second home".

["Pray", that’s what I was taught growing up. "God helps those who help themselves". "Pray without ceasing". Ummm yeah, we all see how well that went. I’d say more, but I’d be doing endless Hail Marys if I did.]

At home, Oliver went straight for the sofa when he received a phone call from a number that he didn’t recognize. He ignored the phone the first time, and said, "they’ll leave a message". He went to the kitchen to get a cup of water and when he came back, he noticed two more phone calls from the number. He deiced to listen to the voicemail. It was Evandro. The voicemail was somewhat lengthy, with explaining that he had gotten his number from his cousin and that something was put on his heart to call Oliver.
Oliver decided to call, immediately Evandro picked up the phone


image
After hanging up with Evandro, he decided to shoot a Facebook message to Carlos. "Thanks".

STORY SYNOPSIS
CHARACTERS

PART 5 TO FOLLOW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

PART 12

[9/26/18 4:00 PM] It was a sunny afternoon when Oliver got a text from Juanito asking him if he could stop by. "Yeah, I'll be h...